Maine Two Footers / Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes Railroad / Passenger Cars / Parlor car #9

   

SR&RL Railroad Parlor Car No.9

 Outside it looks just like another coach. Inside however, appearances were different. No.9 the parlor car, formerly named Rangeley, was lush with Victorian splendor, equal to anything on the wider gauge rails. The porter came up from New York and Washington on the overnight Pullman trains, finished his run to Rangeley whisking tuxedos and milady's velvet aboard one of the finest products of the Jackson & Sharp Car Company.
No.9 was originally built for the Sandy River Railroad in 1901 and was often shared with the Phillips & Rangeley Railroad.
Photographed in Strong yard at about the time the railroad closed.

Photos: Gary Kohler collection

 

Parlor Car No.9 at Edaville.
This view shows the "Dark Pullman" colouring with the gold leaf lettering.

No.9 is now at the Maine Narrow Gauge Museum at Portland.
A view of the interior showing off the mahogany timber and crushed velvet seats.

 

Return to The SR&RL Passenger Cars

 

Return to Home Page

Copyright 1999-2007, all rights reserved
Best viewed 800 x 600 with Javascript enabled