more than half a century, Maine enjoyed the best two-foot gauge railroads
in the USA. The Sandy River, The Phillips and Rangeley and The Franklin
and Megantic (and their paper roads, The Madrid, The Eustis, and The
Kingfield and Dead River) were located in The Franklin County. The Sandy
River and the Franklin and Megantic Railroads merged in 1908 becoming
the Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes RR. The big three joined
forces in 1911 making the SR&RL the largest Maine system with over
120 miles of track and twenty locomotives! The Maine narrow gauge systems
prospered until the 1920s when many factors, including road transport,
brought about the final whistle-blow for the SR&RL in 1935. Followed
soon after by the remaining Lilliputs.
the final whistle blow (16 bit stereo sound 230k)
Not all of the Maine two-footers operated in the Franklin County; The
Bridgton and Saco River RR operated in the Cumberland County while the
Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Rwy operated in Lincoln, Waldo
and Kennebec Counties. The Monson RR was located in Piscataquis County.
Maine two-foot Railroads and their operation dates
the remaining equipment from the above railroads can be seen operating
Narrow Gauge Railroad Co. and Museum in Portland Maine.